Wednesday, December 4, 2013

#3. KIDS ARE IN THEIR SEATS- WHAT TO DO?

#3.  After seating, after handing out books (on the same day) I would pick up flash cards with Latin vocabulary on each.  Each word was shown to the students and they were asked to imitate my pronunciation of that word.  I would go through 7 to 8 cards, both sides.

Then I would say, "Take out a half sheet of paper and number 1 to 6.  Put your name at the top."

Now most teachers do nothing on the first day, I learned long ago.  Kids by the time they arrived in my class were tired and bored with rules and regulations and threats.  So in they come, are seated, books are handed out, we go through some cards and then- take out a sheet of paper and number one to six.  Some will not have paper, pencil.  I always purchased pencils, sharpened those and had on hand.  So now everyone has pencil and paper.  They are worried, maybe even scared.  I always stood on a box a student once made.

I ask "Are you ready for a quiz?"  Some will look concerned.  I ask "Would you like to review those words for the quiz?"  In 30 years that I did this it never failed "yeh, yoh, ok".  I would ask "What do you suppose the magic word is?"   Finally someone would say "please."

I rarely asked individual students for an answer.  Each class answered as a mob.  If they were not loud enough, I would say "I can not hear you!"  (In a loud voice).  Then we would go through the 6 to 8 words, slowly at first and then faster and faster.

Then I would ask, "Are you ready?"  "Yes" came the reply.  Then I would go through the cards one more time and then give the quiz.

What is the point here?  By doing this, students separate your class from most if not all of the others.  They have already learned that courtesy is important- both ways.  They know that you know who they are.  And in spite of what they have heard from other sources, they realize that Latin can be easy and fun.

This first test always told me a great deal.  Most students scored very high, very high.  But those who struggled let me know who needed more push or maybe who was lazy, or scared.  Or lacked ability.  Either way this technique puts the teacher in charge on the very first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment