Wednesday, December 4, 2013

#2. HOW TO HAND OUT BOOKS!

#2.  On the first day after seats have been assigned, hand out the books/texts for class.  Hand a book to a student, pause and wait for that student to say something before moving on to the next.  Think about it, what do we say when someone hands us something?  We say- thank you.  So pause, wait for the student to respond.  If they do not respond, do not lecture (kids hate that), remove the book and move on to the next student.  Place the book in front of the next student. If still no response, ask what a person says when they are given something.  That student will say thank you.  Then hand a book to the next student and pause.  After they say thank you, each time you can say- welcome.  What do we achieve with this?  Without lecture, blah, blah, blah, the students know that courtesy is important.  I did the same with tests or anything I handed out.  There are some students, more than I would like, who live in a home where thank you, please are nonexistent.  Teaching courtesy makes a classroom friendly and pleasant.  Trust me it worked for 30 years.  Oh, of course there were some students who tested the system each year.  I would hand out tests, pause and wait for a thank you.  If none came, I removed the test and went to the next student.  Passing out the tests puts the teacher in the mix, allows a view of each desk and personal contact with the student.

Of course it is essential for the teacher to say thank you when students hand in something.  The purpose of this is not to dominate the students but instead create a somewhat paternal relationship.  After all the law says teachers are in loco parentis= in place of a parent. 

The benefits increase a thousand times come February when other teachers are endlessly complaining about students.  However, in your class courtesy reigns and you are happy to see students come through the door.  In fact many times Guidance would mention to me how courteous "my" students were.  I taught in high school.  My students? Yet, students in my class gained a reputation for courtesy.  Go figure.

This, also, just as rule #1 creates a pleasant atmosphere for both the student and the teacher.  Believe me discipline is much easier when names are known, relationships are based on courtesy and students want to enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment