Saturday, March 28, 2015

749. Post Reditum in Senatu by Cicero

Cicero- Capitoline Museum
749.  Post Reditum in Senatu by Cicero.  This speech was delivered by Cicero September 5, 57 BC.  The following is a paraphrase:

It requires ability beyond my powers to offer proper thanks for my return.  If we ought to hold parents, gods, the Roman people, this body most dear, what infinite thanks do I owe you for the recovery of my position?  

On the motion of Lucius Ninnius, I was recalled.  The difficulty of getting this measure through was due to a hostile tribune.  But by the energy and authority of the Senate I have been able to return.

Not laws but walls protected good citizens.  The normal function of government ceased, there was no expression of authority, no judges rendered decisions.  In the city people rushed about with torches and weapons, the houses of magistrates were attacked, temples set on fire, the fasces of a consul were smashed and a tribune was not manhandled but nearly fatally wounded.

At this some reduced their zeal for my cause.  And for the rest many of these were the kind whom terror, violence and fear and threats repelled.

Lentulus (the Consul who helped to engineer Cicero’s recall) was committed to my return from the beginning.  The law was, however, used to silence all opposition, discussion, talk, voting of any measure for my return.  But Lentulus did not consider that this was a true law.

But how did this come about?  Something happened which had never happened before- two consuls were elected who shunned anything decent connected with their office.  A meeting was held at the Circus Flaminius.  One consul, Piso, was introduced to the meeting by a tribune.  At that meeting he said that he was no pleased with what had been decided against un-condemned citizens (this was a reference to the suppression of the Catilinarian Conspiracy).

(At this point Cicero launches an attack against Piso as someone who at best carried a serious expression but what lay hidden showed no interest in anything fine and good.  His only interest lay in himself.  Cicero brings in his Epicurean views for several sections.)

Piso’s ideas  display a lack of interest in the needs of the state and any willingness to expose himself to trouble and conflict.  This explains why Piso sat about and did nothing while I was made ready for exile.  Then Piso associated in my destruction with Gabinius, the other consul, whose reputation would surely make clear what kind of man Piso is.  

To destroy me you sold consular dignity, the prestige of the Republic, the authority of the Senate, the literal and figurative property of a well deserving citizen in that alliance you made for a province.

At the Circus Flaminius you said that you were always a compassionate man and this was meant, of course, to throw a negative light on me, the Senate, and all good people who ended the threat of Catiline.  So were you compassionate toward one of your own relatives (Cicero’s was related by marriage to Piso))  whom you chose as the one in charge of the first group to cast its vote at your election to the consulship?  Whose opinion you sought in a position of honor on January 1, when you took office?  You handed me over bound and gaged to my enemies!  You rejected the pleas of my son in law, your relative, you rejected the pleas of my daughter (Cicero’s daughter was married to a relative of Piso’s), your relation by marriage!  Not one hour passed after my expulsion when you collected your pay (the Province).  Immediately my house on the Palatine was burned, its belongings carried to house near by, a house which happened to belong to a family member of yours.  My Tusculum villa’s belongings were taken to the house of the other consul.

I praise T. Annius and P. Sestius who met force with force-  this appeared to be the only choice when the guardian of the state, the Senate and the laws, were helpless.  Mention must be made of M. Cispius, C. Cestitius, T. Fadius (Quaestor when Cicero was consul), M. Curtius (Cicero was his father’s Quaestor), C. Messius who first proposed my restoration, Q. Fabricius who tried in January to get a recall but was opposed by force.  L. Caecilius as Praetor put forth a bill for my safety and prevented those who had plundered my house to have access to court, M. Calidius, Praetor designate, made clear his zeal for me, C. Septimius, Q. Valerius, P. Crassus, Sex. Quinctilius, C. Cornutius strove to help.

From day one Lentulus said and did what was necessary to protect the interests of the state.

(Cicero also praises Pompey who had thrown his support to the cause of Cicero.  But the manner of Cicero’s address seems to me to be telling Pompey something- the opposition to Cicero and the Senate was not the proper way for a citizen to act and to have anything to do with lawless activity was a mistake.)

So why did I leave?  I saw at the time that I would be forced to fight with weapons, not argument.  The Consul, Piso, announced that he would punish the Equites for the support they had given me.  Some were prosecuted, some harassed in court, others were banished.The other consul was eager to betray me to receive his payment.  There was a consular outside of the city (Caesar) who did nothing to help.  The number of enemy were too great and consequently many, faced with violence, backed off in their support for me.

Gn. Plancius deserves special thanks for it was he who protected me in Thessalonika during my exile.


(Cicero ends up making it very clear that, if anyone expected him to enter semi-retirement after his return, that person was sadly mistaken.  For virtue and good faith can never be taken away from anyone and in light of his universal recall, he was needed and wanted back in the saddle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment