Monday, February 2, 2015

A Pig in a Poke

A Pig in a Poke

I retired in July of 2013.  Ohio public teachers have their own retirement and health coverage system.  At 65 the retirement system requires that I sign up for Medicare Part B. Failure to sign up for Medicare Part B, allows the state retirement system to cancel my health insurance. 

So Sarah began the process months in advance of my 65th.  As in all endeavors Sarah and I have a partnership.  Which in this case required two minds, two college degrees and a combined years of experience of some 125 plus years.  

So here is the story.  Most stuff on FaceBook consists of short notes, but those of you who persevere may find some benefit.

In an effort to save paper, Sarah signed me up on line for Medicare Part B.  The application went through.  It was so easy.  Sadly the tail ends not here. 

One week later a call came to our house asking if I had received my Medicare Card.  Sarah said no, it had not arrived.  We were told to look for it in the mail, as it would soon arrive.  A week later a letter arrived which informed me that I was not eligible for Medicare because I had never paid into Social Security.  This, of course, is true as I had paid into Ohio state teacher retirement system.

Please, keep in mind that Medicare, Washington, D.C. has a website.  On this website it states that every US citizen, 65 or older, and a resident for 5 or more years has the right to sign up for Medicare Part B whether that person has paid into Medicare or not.

I called to register with the Medicare system.  Thinking of course that personal contact is always better.  I dial.  A computer says press 1 for this, 2 for that, etc.  Press 3 if you desire more information on measures passed by Congress to save paper.  I knew better and waited for a human.  I was told that there was a 55 minute wait, if I stayed on line.  If I leave a call back number, they will call back at some time.  I say “call back”, as I am still talking to a computer.  

60 minutes later a call arrived.  I tell the human that I wish to sign up for Medicare.  I am asked for my name, my Social Security number, my mother’s maiden name, my address, by birthday and year.  Pause as she waits for computer to load a reply.  

Soon Social Security says- you have not paid into Social Security, you are not eligible.  

No questions were asked, no curiosity, no interest at the other end of the line, no willingness to take time to serve my interests.  

Me: I need to sign up for Medicare Part B because Ohio teachers have their own retirement system for health insurance and it requires that I sign up for Medicare Part B.  

Social Security: You can not sign up, you did not pay into Social Security.    

Me: Please, make an appointment for me with the local office in order to discuss this.

She agrees.

The local office turned out to be in Painsville, Ohio.

Three days later I receive in the mail a letter telling me that I am not eligible for Medicare.  The same day a letter arrived telling me that my appointment would be the Monday after Thanksgiving at 2:09 PM.  You guessed it, there had been no discussion about suitable times, or a time frame or choices- just here is the date and the time- 2:09 PM.  

We spent Thanksgiving with Bob, Elizabeth and Faye.  Bob has become a master fryer of turkey in peanut oil.  He loves it.  While I stood out with him Thanksgiving Day, holding up a board to prevent the wind from extinguishing the flame, a call came reminding me of my appointment on Monday.  Saturday after Thanksgiving, Sarah and I and Elizabeth and Faye drove to Alabama to visit Charles, Susan and Walton.   Elizabeth leaves Charles’ on Monday at 2 PM.  I missed the call for my appointment.  But not to fear the lady called a  whole 5 minutes later to give me a second chance. I had missed this, also.

So we return from Georgia.  I call Social Security to sign up for Medicare.  By now I felt experienced in the nuances of which button to push and what to say.  I call.  There is a 35 minute wait, the computer speaks.  I say again- “call back” and leave a number.  A call arrives. 

Me:  I must sign up for Medicare Part B.  

I give my name, social security, birth day, year date, mother’s maiden name, my favorite politician (just kidding).  

Pause.  

Social Security: You are not eligible.    

Me: I must sign up by law and I must do so to keep my insurance with Ohio.  

SS: You can not, you did not pay in.  

Me: I realize that but Ohio State Teacher Retirement System requires that I must sign up for Part B.  If I fail to do so, they will cancel my insurance.  

SS:  You are not eligible.  This rule is the same for every state. 

Me:  The rule is not the same for every state.  Ohio has its own system.

SS:  You are not eligible. 

Me: Would you please make me an appointment with the office in Painesville, Ohio?

SS:  Yes.

Pause.

SS:  Your appointment will be January 9 at 1:00 PM.  But the call may come between 12:30 PM and 2:00 PM.

The Thursday before my call, a call came in reminding me that the call will come at 1:09 PM.

So, I set a notice on my phone to alert the time of the call.

The call came at 1:09 PM.  The lady was very nice.  She skipped most of the questions and in 8 minutes I was signed up.

A letter arrived of 6 pages informing me that I would soon receive a letter soon which could be used to inform Ohio retirement system that indeed I had complied with their rules.

Yesterday, January 17, the letter arrived.

This took 5 months.


It all worked out and I am glad.  But even a scenario which worked out took months.  And people actually want the government more involved in our lives?  This movement of more and more government to “solve” our problems is not a train wreck in the making but the focus of power in unaccountable hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment